“Suicide hotspots” is a phrase that can have two meanings: a geographical area with a relatively high rate of suicide among its resident population and a specific, accessible and usually public site often used as a location for suicide, providing either means or opportunity for suicide.
The following articles focus on the key approaches suggested worldwide in order to prevent suicide attempts in hotspots.
- Interventions to reduce suicides at suicide hotspots: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Pirkis J, Too LS, Spittal MJ, Krysinska K, Robinson J, Cheung YT.
Lancet Psychiatry. 2015 Nov;2(11):994-1001. doi: 10.1016/S2215-0366(15)00266- 7.
Epub 2015 Sep 22. Review. Erratum in: Lancet Psychiatry. 2015 Nov;2(11):961. PMID: 26409438
- Cooling suicide hotspots.
Lancet Psychiatry. 2015 Nov;2(11):952-3. doi: 10.1016/S2215-0366(15)00315- 6. Epub 2015 Sep 22. No abstract available. PMID: 26409437
- “Hotspots” and “copycats” a plea for more thoughtful language about suicide.
Lancet Psychiatry. 2016 Jan;3(1):19-20. doi: 10.1016/S2215-0366(15)00492- 7.
- “Hotspots” and “copycats” a plea for more thoughtful language about suicide – Authors reply.
Pirkis J, Krysinska K, Cheung YTD, Too LS, Spittal MJ, Robinson J.
Lancet Psychiatry. 2016 Jan;3(1):20. doi: 10.1016/S2215-0366(15)00548- 9.
- Comparing Different Suicide Prevention Measures at Bridges and Buildings: Lessons We Have Learned from a National Survey in Switzerland.
Hemmer A, Meier P, Reisch T.
PLoS One. 2017 Jan 6;12(1):e0169625. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0169625. eCollection 2017.
- Suicides on the Austrian railway network: hotspot analysis and effect of proximity to psychiatric institutions.
Strauss MJ, Klimek P, Sonneck G, Niederkrotenthaler T.
R Soc Open Sci. 2017 Mar 8;4(3):160711. doi: 10.1098/rsos.160711. eCollection 2017 Mar. PMID: 28405359
- Interventions to reduce suicides at suicide hotspots: a systematic review.
Cox GR, Owens C, Robinson J, Nicholas A, Lockley A, Williamson M, Cheung YT, Pirkis J.
BMC Public Health. 2013 Mar 9;13:214. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458- 13-214. Review.
Looking forward to sharing with you
the next scientific news and reading suggestions!
To know more, contact EPA- SSSP e-mail address:
One thought on “Scientific News and Reading Suggestions #12”